Presentation is loading. Please wait.
A, an and the are called articles A, an are called indefinite articles
The is called definite article 3
AN A THE The is used to refer to specific or particular nouns.
A / an is used to modify non-specific or non- particular nouns. 4
A Person We use a, an, or the before nouns that we want to introduce.
Nouns are names of people, places, animals or things. A Person A Place A thing 5
‘A’ is used Before beginning with a consonant sound. Eg) a boy, a bird
Before a singular noun beginning (Eg) a book, a school, a dog. Even before vowel letters which don’t have vowel sound. (Eg) a European, a unit, a union. ‘A’ is used 6
a university a uniform a one-rupee note
Some words start with a vowel letter but begin with a consonant sound, so we use a before these words too. a university a uniform a one-rupee note 7
We use a before words that begin with a consonant.
a girl a clock a lamp 8
She wears _____ uniform on Wednesday. He gave me ____ one rupee coin.
Sona made ____ universal appeal. India is ____ developing country. He is __ boy. EXERCISE 9
‘An’ is used Before a word beginning with a vowel
(Eg) an idiot, an apple Before a word beginning with ' h' but not sounded (Eg) an honour, an hour, an honest man 10
We use an before words that begin with a vowel sound .
a,e,i,o,u are vowels an orange an umbrella an eye 11
____ honest man is always respected.
EXERCISE ____ honest man is always respected. Rahul is ____ engineer by profession I bought ____ HMT watch Mala is ___ M.A in English My brother is ____ advocate. 12
'The’ is used (Eg) the sun, the sky, the moon
1. Before unique objects (Eg) the sun, the sky, the moon 2. Before the names of mountains, rivers, oceans, deserts etc. (Eg) the Ganges, the Sahara, the Pacific 3. Before the names of books (Eg) the Bible, the Ramayana, the Quran 13
(Eg) the best, the tallest
4. Before the superlative degree (Eg) the best, the tallest 5. Before musical instruments (Eg) the flute, the violin 6. Before an adjective to denote a whole class (Eg) the old, the rich, the poor 14
(Eg) the first, the ninth
7. Before ordinals (Eg) the first, the ninth 8. Before proper names (plural) of peoples(nations) (Eg) the French, the Indians 9. Abbreviations use “the” (Eg) the UN", "the USA", "the IMF". 15
We use the when we know that there is only one of a particular thing.
the sky the world the North Pole 16
EXERCISE 1. _____ earth goes round ____ sun.
2.I love watching ____ sun rise in ____ morning. 3. ____ Himalayas stand as sentinel to our country. 4. ___ man in ___ blue suit is our Principal. 5.My sister is working in ____ USA. 17
Omission of article Before the names of relations (father, uncle,sister ) Before the names of material (gold, silver, diamond ) Before proper noun ( Lotus, Chennai, Priya ) Before abstract noun (honesty, wisdom, truth ) Before language ( Tamil, Hindi, English ) Before certain phrases ( at noon, by train, on foot ) 18
FILL IN THE BLANKS USING ‘A’ AN’ OR ‘THE’
Sri Lanka is _____ island. She gave Sita ____ one rupee note. Maya wore _____ red colour saree. He is _____ honourable man. He met with ____ accident on his way home. 19
2. She gave Sita a one rupee note. 3. Maya wore the red colour saree.
1.Sri Lanka is an island. 2. She gave Sita a one rupee note. 3. Maya wore the red colour saree. 4. He is an honourable man. 5. He met with an accident on his way home. 20
7. He worked efficiently as ___ M.L.A.
6. ___ Ganges is ___ holy water. 7. He worked efficiently as ___ M.L.A. 8. _____ Bible is ____ sacred book of Christians. 9. Heaven is _____ happiest place. 10.Buying ___ umbrella is not ___ urgent need. 21
7. He worked efficiently as an M.L.A.
6.The Ganges is a holy water. 7. He worked efficiently as an M.L.A. 8. The Bible is the sacred book of Christians. 9. Heaven is the happiest place. 10.Buying an umbrella is not a urgent need. 22
11.____ Sahara is ___ biggest desert in ___ world.
12.Mani bought ___ car 13.We went to __ temple and saw ___ elephant eating bananas. 14.Sekar is ___ advocate who is working in ___ USA. 15.___ representative from Australia is __ excellent speaker. 23
11.The Sahara is the biggest desert in the world.
12. Mani bought a car 13. We went to the temple and saw an elephant eating bananas. 14. Sekar is an advocate who is working in the USA. 15. The representative from Australia is an excellent speaker. 24
THE END!!! GREAT JOB!!! 25
© 2023 SlidePlayer.com Inc.
All rights reserved.